AAH recently launched a collaborative project to increase public awareness and media coverage of air quality and public health issues in Houston. This multi-year project includes partners from the Environmental Defense Fund, Public Citizen, the Environmental Integrity Project, Environment Texas, and others.
- Develop and implement the messaging and communications strategy for Air Alliance Houston
- Develop and implement a messaging campaign to increase public awareness and media coverage of air quality and public health in Houston
- Collaborate with project partners, including partners based throughout Texas, including nonprofits, academic institutions, government agencies, and funders
- Manage relationships with local and national media outlets and reporters
- Increase and track earned media impressions, social media reach, and web traffic
- Produce, edit, and disseminate compelling written and graphic materials, including:
- Position papers
- Press releases
- Handouts and other public advocacy tools
- Weekly newsletter
- Website updates and maintenance
- Social media
- Provide some administrative support in coordination with staff and other duties as assigned
- Assist the Fund Development Consultant with goals in the Fundraising Strategic Plan related to messaging, philanthropy, and donor outreach
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in communications, journalism, nonprofit management, or a relevant field
- Three years’ experience in communications, community outreach, nonprofit management, or journalism
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Graphic design (Adobe InDesign) and/or Web design (WordPress) preferred
- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
AAH is seeking a current college student, graduate student, or recent college graduate who is interested in serving as an intern and providing a wide range of database, research, administrative, and general support to AAH’s development team. In return, AAH will provide an opportunity for the intern to gain experience in and familiarity with areas such as fundraising, philanthropy, public health and environmental issues, and the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization.
- Assist the development staff in entering data into AAH’s donor database.
- Conduct research on potential donors, strategic partners, markets and industries.
- Prepare reports and presentations for internal and external use.
- Draft correspondence, reports, proposals and donor appeals.
- Assist the development staff in planning donor events and other activities.
- Maintain donor files and other development materials.
- Attend department and staff meetings.
- Assist with mailings, filing, and special projects as needed.
- Strong writing and research abilities.
- Desire to learn more about fundraising and philanthropy.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience with databases is a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- A demonstrated commitment to AAH’s mission and values.
- Unimpeachable ethical standards and personal integrity.
HOURS, START DATE, AND DURATION
Flexible within business hours. A firm commitment of 10 to 20 hours per week is required. The internship will start at a mutually agreed upon date and may continue through the 2017/2018 academic year depending on mutual interest and satisfactory performance. This is not a paid internship.
Air Alliance Houston is seeking motivated individuals to teach our educational cross-collaborative lesson plans for grades K-8. Teaching Artists are trained by our Educational Director in three age-appropriate curricula.
AAH employs Teaching Artists on a part-time basis to reach thousands students each year. Classes are taught on-site at schools and educational events throughout Houston. Classes are assigned to Teaching Artists on a first-come, first-served basis, with preference given for class opportunities brought by the Teaching Artist.
- Some local travel in and around the Houston area is required.
- Some administrative support in coordination with other Air Alliance Houston staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Spanish language fluency is highly desired.
- Bachelor’s degree (or work towards a degree).
- Ability to schedule independently and perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner.
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license.
- One to two years experience in education.
- Experience with school schedules and time keeping.
- Superior communication skills—oral and written. A successful Teaching Artist is able to communicate effectively.
Air Alliance Houston is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation, or class. People of color and indigenous people are strongly encouraged to apply. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.