You can help! Here’s how
As we have written before, Air Alliance Houston supports the United Steelworkers (USW) in their current strike against refining industry giants. In October of last year, Air Alliance Houston and the Steelworkers found themselves in the same room, advocating for reforms in the refining industry to reduce toxic air pollution.
Now we are supporting the United Steelworkers as they push for safety improvements at America’s oil and gas refineries. Just today in the Houston Chronicle, Debbie Loera, the wife of a USW member working at the Shell Deer Park refinery in Houston, wrote about the need to protect workers. A counterpoint to that piece was written by American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers president Charles Drevna.
We hope, as Drevna states, that safety is the top priority of refining companies. But last October we saw company representatives lobby against regulations to provide stronger health and safety protections for refinery employees and communities. While Air Alliance Houston and the United Steelworkers were advocating for stronger controls of toxic emissions at refineries, company representatives were opposing them.
There is one more voice that must be heard in this debate: yours! The United Steelworkers need your support now. Below are some ways that you can help.
- Sign this petition to tell oil industry management and federal, state, and local officials that we all want safe refineries. You can also circulate this hardcopy petition.
- Write a Letter to the Editor in support of refinery safety. (You can submit a letter of 250 words or fewer to the Houston Chronicle at email@example.com.)
- Distribute literature about worker safety to your friends, neighbors, and community groups.
- View this video from United Steelworkers: “It’s all about safety.”
- Participate in USW events, actions, and rallies near you. In and around Houston, you have three options:
USW Local 227
704 E. Pasadena Freeway
Pasadena, TX 77506
(LyondellBasell in Houston)
USW Local 13-1
2327 Texas Ave
Texas City, TX 77590
(Marathon Galveston Bay Refinery, Houston Green Cogeneration facility, Shell Deer Park Refinery, and Shell Deer Park Chemical Plant)
USW Local 13-423
1500 Jefferson Dr.
Port Arthur, TX 77642-0646
(Motiva Port Arthur Refinery)
And finally, keep following Air Alliance Houston! We’ll keep giving you updates about how the strike is going, and how you can help.